Thursday, September 6, 2007

Just Another Day on the Subway


This is what I mean about being so used to the strange or bizarre in the city that you don't notice it even when it is sitting across from you on the subway. These are 5 cent deposit cans tied to a tray busing cart that itself is mounted with a tall metal rack. The owner of all this was asleep behind the pile. What's amazing is that to get here, he must have dragged it all down at least two flights of stairs, through a turnstile and onto a subway car. I was headed uptown with two friends when I saw it. We sat across from him even though there were plenty of seats at the other end of the car. When we got off at 125th Street, I stopped to take this photo and my friends asked me what I was doing. They hadn't given it much notice and wondered why I would be interested in it.

No comments: